1. Jesus, the very thought of theeWith sweetness fills my breast;But sweeter far thy face to seeAnd in thy presence rest.
2. Nor voice can sing, nor heart can frame,Nor can the mem'ry findA sweeter sound than thy blest name,O Savior of mankind!
3. O hope of ev'ry contrite heart,O joy of all the meek,To those who fall, how kind thou art!How good to those who seek!
4. Jesus, our only joy be thou,As thou our prize wilt be;Jesus, be thou our glory now,And thru eternity.
Text: Attr. to Bernard of Clairvaux, ca. 1091-1153; trans. by Edward Caswall, 1814-1878Music: John B. Dykes, 1823-1876
- Hymn Number
- John B. Dykes, 1823-1876
- Attr. to Bernard of Clairvaux, ca. 1091-1153; trans. by Edward Caswall, 1814-1878
- Psalm 104:34, Enos 1:27
- CM (Common Meter)
- 8 6 8 6
- Hope, Jesus Christ - Friend
- St. Agnes