1. Know this, that ev'ry soul is freeTo choose his life and what he'll be;For this eternal truth is giv'n:That God will force no man to heav'n.
2. He'll call, persuade, direct aright,And bless with wisdom, love, and light,In nameless ways be good and kind,But never force the human mind.
3. Freedom and reason make us men;Take these away, what are we then?Mere animals, and just as wellThe beasts may think of heav'n or hell.
4. May we no more our pow'rs abuse,But ways of truth and goodness choose;Our God is pleased when we improveHis grace and seek his perfect love.
Text: Anon., ca. 1805, Boston. Included in the first LDS hymnbook, 1835.Music: Roger L. Miller, b. 1937. (c) 1985 IRI
- Hymn Number
- Roger L. Miller, b. 1937
- Anon., ca. 1805, Boston. Included in the first LDS hymnbook, 1835.
- Helaman 14:30-31, 2 Nephi 10:23-24
- LM (Long Meter)
- 8 8 8 8