1. Now we’ll sing with one accord,For a prophet of the Lord,Bringing forth his precious word,Cheers the Saints as anciently.When the world in darkness lay,Lo! he sought the better way,And he heard the Savior say,“Go and prune my vineyard, son!”
2. And an angel surely then,For a blessing unto men,Brought the priesthood back againIn its ancient purity.Even Joseph he inspired;Yea, his heart he truly firedWith the light that he desiredFor the work of righteousness.
3. And the Book of Mormon true,With its cov’nant ever new,For the Gentile and the Jew,He translated sacredly.God’s commandments to mankind,For believing Saints designed,And to bless the seeking mind,Came to him from Jesus Christ.
4. Precious are the years to come,While the righteous gather homeFor the great millennium,When they’ll rest in blessedness.Prudent in this world of woes,They will triumph o’er their foes,While the realm of Zion growsPurer for eternity.
Text: William W. Phelps, 1792–1872. Included in the first LDS hymnbook, 1835.Music: Joseph J. Daynes, 1851–1920
- Hymn Number
- Joseph J. Daynes, 1851–1920.
- William W. Phelps, 1792–1872.
- Doctrine and Covenants 135:3, Moses 7:62, 67
- 7 7 7 7 D
- Book of Mormon, Gathering of Israel, Joseph Smith, Priesthood, Restoration of the Gospel