1. O little town of Bethlehem,How still we see thee lie.Above thy deep and dreamless sleepThe silent stars go by;Yet in thy dark streets shinethThe everlasting Light.The hopes and fears of all the yearsAre met in thee tonight.
2. For Christ is born of Mary,And, gathered all aboveWhile mortals sleep, the angels keepTheir watch of wond'ring love.O morning stars, togetherProclaim the holy birth,And praises sing to God the King,And peace to men on earth.
3. How silently, how silentlyThe wondrous gift is giv'n!So God imparts to human heartsThe blessings of his heav'n.No ear may hear his coming;But in this world of sin,Where meek souls will receive him, stillThe dear Christ enters in.
Text: Phillips Brooks, 1835-1893Music: Lewis H. Redner, 1831-1908
- Hymn Number
- Lewis H. Redner, 1831-1908
- Phillips Brooks, 1835-1893
- Micah 5:2, Luke 2:4-16
- 8 6 8 6 7 6 8 6
- St. Louis