1. Redeemer of Israel,Our only delight,On whom for a blessing we call,Our shadow by dayAnd our pillar by night,Our King, our Deliv'rer, our all!
2. We know he is comingTo gather his sheepAnd lead them to Zion in love,For why in the valleyOf death should they weepOr in the lone wilderness rove?
3. How long we have wanderedAs strangers in sinAnd cried in the desert for thee!Our foes have rejoicedWhen our sorrows they've seen,But Israel will shortly be free.
4. As children of Zion,Good tidings for us.The tokens already appear.Fear not, and be just,For the kingdom is ours.The hour of redemption is near.
5. Restore, my dear Savior,The light of thy face;Thy soul-cheering comfort impart;And let the sweet longingFor thy holy placeBring hope to my desolate heart.
6. He looks! and ten thousandsOf angels rejoice,And myriads wait for his word;He speaks! and eternity,Filled with his voice,Re-echoes the praise of the Lord.
Text: William W. Phelps, 1792-1872; adapted from Joseph Swain, 1761-1796. Included in the first LDS hymnbook, 1835.Music: Freeman Lewis, 1780-1859
- Hymn Number
- Freeman Lewis, 1780-1859
- William W. Phelps, 1792-1872; adapted from Joseph Swain, 1761-1796. Included in the first LDS hymnbook, 1835.
- Exodus 13:21-22, 1 Nephi 22:12
- 11 8 11 8
- Gathering of Israel, Jesus Christ - Second Coming, Jesus Christ - Shepherd