1. Sing praise to him who reigns above,The Lord of all creation,The source of pow’r, the fount of love,The rock of our salvation.With healing balm my soul he fillsAnd ev’ry faithless murmur stills.To him all praise and glory!
2. What his almighty pow’r hath madeHis gracious mercy keepeth.By morning glow or evening shadeHis watchful eye ne’er sleepeth.Within the kingdom of his might,Lo! all is just and all is right.To him all praise and glory!
3. The Lord is never far away,But, thru all grief distressing,An ever-present help and stay,Our peace and joy and blessing.As with a mother’s tender hand,He leads his own, his chosen band.To him all praise and glory!
4. Thus, all my toilsome way alongI sing aloud thy praises,That men may hear the grateful songMy voice unwearied raises.Be joyful in the Lord, my heart!Both soul and body bear your part.To him all praise and glory!
Text: Johann J. Schütz, 1640–1690; trans. by Frances Elizabeth Cox, 1812–1897Music: From Bohemian Brethren’s Songbook, 1566, alt.
- Hymn Number
- Bohemian Brethren’s Songbook.
- Johann J. Schütz, 1640–1690. Frances Elizabeth Cox, 1812–1897.
- Psalm 104:33, Psalm 121:2–4
- 8 7 8 7 8 8 7
- Jesus Christ—Creator, Mercy, Music and Song, Praise
- Mit Freuden zart