1. The glorious gospel light has shoneIn this the latter dayWith such intelligence that noneFrom truth need turn away.The precious things which had been sealedAnd from the world kept hid,The Lord has to his Saints revealedAs anciently he did.
2. And thru the priesthood now restoredAgain prepared the wayThru which the dead may hear his wordAnd all his laws obey.As Christ to spirits went to preachWho were to prison led,So many Saints have gone to teachThe gospel to the dead.
3. And we for them can be baptized,Yes, for our friends most dear,That they can with the just be raisedWhen Gabriel's trump they hear;That they may come with Christ againWhen he to earth descends,A thousand years with him to reign,And with their earthly friends.
4. Now, O ye Saints, rejoice todayThat you can saviors beOf all your dead who will obeyThe gospel and be free.Then let us rise without restraintAnd act for those we love,For they are giving their consentAnd wait for us to move.
Text: Joel H. Johnson, 1802-1882Music: Gottfried W. Fink, 1783-1846
- Hymn Number
- Gottfried W. Fink, 1783-1846
- Joel H. Johnson, 1802-1882
- Doctrine and Covenants 138:30, 57, Doctrine and Covenants 128:16-18, Obadiah 1:21
- CM (Common Meter)
- 8 6 8 6
- Genealogy and Temple Work, Jesus Christ - Second Coming, Millennium, Restoration of the Gospel, Resurrection, Truth
- Bethlehem (Fink)