1. To Nephi, seer of olden time,A vision came from God,Wherein the holy word sublimeWas shown an iron rod.
(Chorus)Hold to the rod, the iron rod;'Tis strong, and bright, and true.The iron rod is the word of God;'Twill safely guide us through.
2. While on our journey here below,Beneath temptation's pow'r,Through mists of darkness we must go,In peril ev'ry hour.
3. And when temptation's pow'r is nigh,Our pathway clouded o'er,Upon the rod we can rely,And heaven's aid implore.
4. And, hand o'er hand, the rod along,Through each succeeding day,With earnest prayer and hopeful song,We'll still pursue our way.
5. Afar we see the golden restTo which the rod will guide,Where, with the angels bright and blest,Forever we'll abide.
Text: Joseph L. Townsend, 1849-1942Music: William Clayson, 1840-1887
- Hymn Number
- William Clayson, 1840-1887
- Joseph L. Townsend, 1849-1942
- 1 Nephi 15:23-25, 1 Nephi 8, 1 Nephi 12:17
- 8 6 8 6 8 6 9 6
- Book of Mormon, Commitment, Encouragement, Guidance, Prophets, Revelation, Scriptures, Trials