1. There is a green hill far away,Without a city wall,Where the dear Lord was crucified,Who died to save us all.
2. We may not know, we cannot tell,What pains he had to bear,But we believe it was for usHe hung and suffered there.
3. There was no other good enoughTo pay the price of sin.He only could unlock the gateOf heav'n and let us in.
4. Oh, dearly, dearly has he loved!And we must love him too,And trust in his redeeming blood,And try his works to do.
Text: Cecil Frances Alexander, 1818-1895Music: John H. Gower, 1855-1922
- Hymn Number
- John H. Gower, 1855-1922
- Cecil Frances Alexander, 1818-1895
- John 19:16-20, Hebrews 13:12
- CM (Common Meter)
- 8 6 8 6
- Love, Sacrament