The 2018 Church Music Submission process and guidelines are currently being revised. Those who are planning to submit in 2018 may want to wait until January 2018 to send in their submissions.
- For all ages—Christmas music that will fit on one or two pages.
- For children—stay on the path, plan of salvation, Holy Ghost, tithing.
- For youth—music about the subjects in For the Strength of Youth (music should fit on one or two pages).
- For choirs—any gospel subject arranged simply for small ward choirs, such as in SAB format.
The annual Church Music Submission is established to encourage the development of musical talent and to bring new musical works to light. Some submissions may be published in Church magazines or on the Church music website. All items for the submission must be postmarked by March 31 of each year, and award recipients will be notified by July 1. Everyone who submits material will later receive a list of the awards.
The General Music Category is sponsored by the General Music Committee and includes six types of music:
- Songs are written as solos, duets, or trios and may have a different accompaniment for each verse.
- Children’s songs are suitable for children to sing.
- Hymns are usually written in four parts. All verses are sung to the same music.
- Anthems are original works written for choirs. Each verse may have a different accompaniment.
- Hymn arrangements consist of existing text and music arranged for vocal solos, small groups, or choirs.
- Instrumental works are sacred works that do not qualify for other categories, such as hymn preludes for organ or piano and instrumental hymn arrangements for solos or ensembles.
All entries should reflect gospel ideals and be suitable for home or Church use. Submissions will be reviewed for artistic merit, usefulness for home or the Church, general appeal, ease of performance, originality, quality of text, and compatibility of music to text. Non-English submissions are welcomed. Shorter works are more likely to be suitable for Church publications, although longer works may be published on the Church music website. All types of entries in this category should include piano or organ accompaniment.
Awards of Distinction ($200), Awards of Merit ($100), and special recognitions may be given in each category. A grand prize ($300) may also be awarded. Award money will be divided equally among the coauthors and composers.
- Submissions may be made by Latter-day Saints age 16 and over.
- Each submission should include (a) a clear copy of text and music together, in neat handwriting or computer manuscript form, on 8½- by 11-inch paper, one side only; (b) a copy of the text only (if applicable) on 8½- by 11-inch paper, one side only; and (c) a signed statement described in rule 5 below; if two people collaborate, both should sign the required statement.
- Please send a copy of the original music. The copy will not be returned.
- Names must not appear on the submission.
- Please write the following statement on an 8½- by 11-inch sheet of paper: ”The work submitted, titled __________, is my original work, is owned by me, and conforms to the submission rules.” Sign the statement, and type or print your name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
- Before the awards are announced, do not transfer ownership rights to the Church. When you accept an award, you grant the Church a nonexclusive, perpetual license for unlimited use. Submissions are subject to editorial changes.
- Send the material to Church Music Submission, 20th Floor, 50 East North Temple Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84150-0020. If you want to verify that we have received your submission, please
- enclose a stamped, self-addressed postcard. You may choose to submit an entry electronically (see the information at music.lds.org/music/other music/church music submission).
- You may submit only one item each year in the General Music Category. Exception: An arranger may submit one original work and be a co-contributor with one other person as his/her arranger.
- Beneath the title of your entry, write the name of the type of music in parentheses. (See the description of the six types of music above.)
- You must not use the services of a paid arranger. An arranger who is a co-contributor must be a member of the Church who is 16 years of age or older. The arranger must sign the required statement.
- Please do not send recordings, except for a recording of an orchestral score or multi-voice anthem or hymn arrangement.
This category is sponsored by the Leo and Merilyn Spencer Hymn Writing Fund. Submissions will be reviewed for effective presentation of a gospel message, artistic merit, usefulness for home or church, general appeal, and originality. Non-English submissions are welcomed. Awards of Distinction ($100), Awards of Merit ($50), and special recognitions may be given.
- Submissions may be made by Latter-day Saints age 16 and over.
- Each submission should include a copy of the text on 8½- by 11-inch paper, one side only, accompanied by the signed statement described in rule 5 under the General Music Category.
- Follow rules 3–7 in the General Music Category.
- You may submit only one item each year in the Hymn Text Category.
- Hymn texts should be patterned after traditional hymn writing, using regular meters, rhyme schemes, and other standard poetic devices. The messages of the texts should be in harmony with the restored gospel. Hymns in the hymnbook may serve as models of good hymn text writing.
The Relief Society Music Category is sponsored by the Eccles Music Fund. Submissions will be reviewed for artistic merit, usefulness for home or church, general appeal, ease of performance, originality, quality of text, and compatibility of music to text. Non-English submissions are welcomed. Awards of Distinction ($200), Awards of Merit ($100), and special recognitions may be given. Award money will be divided equally among the coauthors and composers.
- Submissions may be made by Latter-day Saint women age 18 and older.
- Follow rules 2–7 in the General Music Category.
- You may submit only one item each year in the Relief Society Music Category. Write “Relief Society Category” in parentheses beneath the title of your entry.
- You must not use the services of a paid arranger.
- The texts should be in harmony with the restored gospel and should be suitable for Relief Society choirs. Songs may be written in unison, two parts, or three parts.
- Texts written by men may be submitted, but the authors will not be eligible for awards.