Great God, Attend While Zion Sings
1. Great God, attend while Zion sings
The joy that from thy presence springs.
To spend one day with thee on earth
Exceeds a thousand days of mirth.
2. Might I enjoy the meanest place
Within thy house, O God of grace,
No tents of ease or thrones of pow'r
Should tempt my feet to leave thy door.
3. God is our sun; he makes our day.
God is our shield; he guards our way
From all assaults of hell and sin,
From foes without and fears within.
4. All needful grace will God bestow
And crown that grace with glory too.
He gives us all things and withholds
No blessings due to upright souls.
5. Our God, our King, whose sovereign sway
The glorious hosts of heav'n obey
(And devils at thy presence flee);
Blest is the man that trusts in thee!
Text: Isaac Watts, 1674-1748
Music: Joseph J. Daynes, 1851-1920