How Great the Wisdom and the Love
1. How great the wisdom and the love
That filled the courts on high
And sent the Savior from above
To suffer, bleed, and die!
2. His precious blood he freely spilt;
His life he freely gave,
A sinless sacrifice for guilt,
A dying world to save.
3. By strict obedience Jesus won
The prize with glory rife:
"Thy will, O God, not mine be done,"
Adorned his mortal life.
4. He marked the path and led the way,
And ev'ry point defines
To light and life and endless day
Where God's full presence shines.
5. In mem'ry of the broken flesh
We eat the broken bread
And witness with the cup, afresh,
Our faith in Christ, our Head.
6. How great, how glorious, how complete
Redemption's grand design,
Where justice, love, and mercy meet
In harmony divine!
Verses 1, 2, 5, and 6 are especially appropriate for the sacrament.
Text: Eliza R. Snow, 1804-1887
Music: Thomas McIntyre, 1833-1914