Anyone or anything that counterfeits the true gospel plan of salvation and that openly or secretly opposes Christ. John the Revelator described the antichrist as a deceiver (1 Jn. 2:18–22; 4:3–6; 2 Jn. 1:7). The great antichrist is Lucifer, but he has many assistants, both spirit beings and mortals.
- The son of perdition opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God:2 Thes. 2:1–12;
- He deceives them that dwell on the earth by the means of miracles:Rev. 13:13–17;
- Sherem denied Christ and deceived many:Jacob 7:1–23;
- Nehor taught false doctrines, established a church, and introduced priestcraft:Alma 1:2–16;
- Korihor ridiculed Christ, the Atonement, and the spirit of prophecy:Alma 30:6–60;