To be born. To beget is to give birth, to procreate, or to call into being. In the scriptures, these words are often used to mean being born of God. Although Jesus Christ is the only child begotten of the Father in mortality, all people may be spiritually begotten of Christ by accepting him, obeying his commandments, and becoming new persons through the power of the Holy Ghost.
- This day have I begotten thee:Ps. 2:7; ( Acts 13:33; Heb. 1:5–6;
- His glory was of the only begotten of the Father:John 1:14; ( 2 Ne. 25:12; Alma 12:33–34; D&C 76:23; )
- God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son:John 3:16; ( D&C 20:21; )
- Christ has spiritually begotten his people:Mosiah 5:7;
- Those who are begotten through the Lord are the Church of the Firstborn:D&C 93:22;