Book of Mormon
One of the four volumes of scripture accepted by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is an abridgment by an ancient prophet named Mormon of the records of the ancient inhabitants of the Americas. It was written to testify that Jesus is the Christ. Concerning this record, the Prophet Joseph Smith, who translated it by the gift and power of God, said: “I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book” (see the introduction at the front of the Book of Mormon).
The Book of Mormon is a religious record of three groups of people who migrated from the Old World to the American continents. These groups were led by prophets who recorded their religious and secular histories on metal plates. The Book of Mormon records the visit of Jesus Christ to the people in the Americas following his resurrection. A two hundred-year era of peace followed that visit of Christ.
Moroni, the last of the Nephite prophet-historians, sealed up the abridged records of these people and hid them in about A.D. 421. In 1823, the resurrected Moroni visited Joseph Smith and later delivered to him these ancient and sacred records to be translated and brought forth to the world as another testament of Jesus Christ.
- Joseph is a fruitful bough whose branches run over the wall:Gen. 49:22–26;
- Truth shall spring out of the earth:Ps. 85:11; ( Morm. 8:16; Moses 7:62; )
- The Lord will lift up an ensign to the nations and will hiss unto them:Isa. 5:26;
- A voice shall speak out of the ground:Isa. 29:4; ( 2 Ne. 26:14–17; )
- The vision of all has become as the words of a book that is sealed:Isa. 29:11; ( Isa. 29:9–18; 2 Ne. 27:6–26; )
- The sticks of Joseph and of Judah shall be one in the Lord’s hand:Ezek. 37:15–20;
- Other sheep I have, which are not of this fold:John 10:16; ( 3 Ne. 15:16–24; )
- The Book of Mormon and the Bible will grow together:2 Ne. 3:12–21;
- The Lord’s words will hiss forth unto the ends of the earth:2 Ne. 29:2;
- The Lord covenanted with Enos to bring forth the Book of Mormon to the Lamanites:Enos 1:15–16;
- The Book of Mormon was written for the intent that we may believe the Bible:Morm. 7:9;
- The Book of Mormon shall stand as a testimony against the world:Ether 5:4;
- Ask God if these things are not true:Moro. 10:4;
- Christ bore testimony that the Book of Mormon is true:D&C 17:6;
- The Book of Mormon contains the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ:D&C 20:9; ( D&C 20:8–12;
- We believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God:A of F 1:8;