In the scriptures, compassion means literally “to suffer with.” It also means to show sympathy, pity, and mercy for another.
- The Lord called upon his people to show compassion:Zech. 7:8–10;
- Jesus was moved with compassion:Matt. 9:36; ( Matt. 20:34; Mark 1:41; Luke 7:13; )
- A certain Samaritan had compassion on him:Luke 10:33;
- Have compassion for one another:1 Pet. 3:8;
- Christ is filled with compassion toward the children of men:Mosiah 15:9;
- My bowels are filled with compassion toward you:3 Ne. 17:6;
- Joseph Smith prayed for the Lord’s compassion:D&C 121:3–5;