The second elder of the restored Church and one of the Three Witnesses to the divine origin and truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. He acted as scribe while Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon from the gold plates (JS—H 1:66–68).
- Received a witness of the truth of the translation of the Book of Mormon:D&C 6:17, 22–24;
- Was ordained by John the Baptist:D&C 13; ( D&C 27:8; JS—H 1:68–73, see note to verse 71; )
- After you have obtained faith and have seen them with your eyes, ye shall testify that you have seen them:D&C 17:3, 5;
- I have manifested unto you, by my Spirit, that the things which you have written are true:D&C 18:2;
- Was appointed and ordained one of the stewards over the revelations:D&C 70:3;
- Received the keys of the priesthood with Joseph Smith:D&C 110;