Separation from God and his influences; to die as to things pertaining to righteousness. Lucifer and a third part of the hosts of heaven suffered a spiritual death when they were cast out of heaven (D&C 29:36–37).
Spiritual death was introduced into the world by the fall of Adam (Moses 6:48). Mortals with evil thoughts, words, and works are spiritually dead while still alive on earth (1 Tim. 5:6). Through the atonement of Jesus Christ and by obedience to the principles and ordinances of the gospel, men and women can become clean from sin and overcome spiritual death.
Spiritual death also occurs following the death of the mortal body. Both resurrected beings and the devil and his angels will be judged. Those who have willfully rebelled against the light and truth of the gospel will suffer spiritual death. This death is often called the second death (Alma 12:16; Hel. 14:16–19; D&C 76:36–38).
- Evildoers shall be cut off:Ps. 37:9;
- To be carnally minded is death:Rom. 8:6; ( 2 Ne. 9:39; )
- Lusts drown men in destruction and perdition:1 Tim. 6:9;
- Sin brings forth death:James 1:15;
- He that overcomes shall not be hurt of the second death:Rev. 2:11;
- On such the second death has no power:Rev. 20:6, 12–14;
- The wicked shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death:Rev. 21:8; ( D&C 63:17–18; )
- Men are free to choose liberty and eternal life or to choose captivity and death:2 Ne. 2:27; ( 2 Ne. 10:23; Alma 29:5; Hel. 14:30–31; )
- God has prepared a way for our escape from death and hell:2 Ne. 9:10;
- Loose yourselves from the pains of hell that you may not suffer the second death:Jacob 3:11;
- The natural man is an enemy to God:Mosiah 3:19;
- May the Lord grant unto you repentance so that you may not suffer the second death:Alma 13:30;
- Alma was encircled about by the everlasting chains of death:Alma 36:18;
- The wicked die as to things pertaining to righteousness:Alma 40:26; ( Alma 12:16; )
- The Fall brought upon all mankind a spiritual death:Alma 42:9; ( Hel. 14:16–18; )
- When Adam fell, he became spiritually dead:D&C 29:40–41, 44;