According to the scriptures, to desire something that belongs to another is wrong.
- The patriarchs, moved with envy, sold Joseph into Egypt:Acts 7:9;
- Charity envieth not:1 Cor. 13:4; ( Moro. 7:45; )
- Envy comes of pride:1 Tim. 6:4;
- Where envy is, there is confusion and every evil work:James 3:16;
- The Lord commanded men that they should not envy:2 Ne. 26:32;
- There was no envy among the people of Nephi:4 Ne. 1:15–18;
- The envy and wrath of man have been my common lot all the days of my life:D&C 127:2;