The process of excluding a person from the Church and taking away all rights and privileges of membership. Church authorities excommunicate a person from the Church only when he has chosen to live in opposition to the Lord’s commandments and thus has disqualified himself for further membership in the Church.
- The hearts of many were hardened, and their names were blotted out:Alma 1:24; ( Alma 6:3; )
- If he repent not he shall not be numbered among my people:3 Ne. 18:31; ( Mosiah 26; )
- Adulterers who do not repent shall be cast out:D&C 42:24;
- He that sinneth and repenteth not shall be cast out:D&C 42:28;
- Procedures are given for settling important difficulties in the Church:D&C 102; ( D&C 42:80–93; )
- The bishop is appointed to be a judge in Israel:D&C 107:72;
- Religious societies have the right to deal with members’ disorderly conduct:D&C 134:10;