Latter-day revelation speaks of hell in at least two senses. First, it is the temporary abode in the spirit world for those who were disobedient in mortality. In this sense, hell has an end. The spirits there will be taught the gospel, and sometime following their repentance they will be resurrected to a degree of glory of which they are worthy. Those who will not repent, but are nevertheless not sons of perdition, will remain in hell throughout the Millennium. After these thousand years of torment, they will be resurrected to a telestial glory (D&C 76:81–86; 88:100–101).
Second, it is the permanent location of those who are not redeemed by the atonement of Jesus Christ. In this sense, hell is permanent. It is for those who are found “filthy still” (D&C 88:35, 102). This is the place where Satan, his angels, and the sons of perdition—those who have denied the Son after the Father has revealed him—will dwell eternally (D&C 76:43–46).
The scriptures sometimes refer to hell as outer darkness.
- David’s soul shall not be left in hell:Ps. 16:10; ( Ps. 86:13; )
- Go into hell, into that fire that never shall be quenched:Mark 9:43; ( Mosiah 2:38; )
- The rich man in hell lifts up his eyes, being in torment:Luke 16:22–23; ( D&C 104:18; )
- Death and hell delivered up the dead:Rev. 20:13;
- There is a place prepared, yea, even that awful hell:1 Ne. 15:35;
- The will of the flesh giveth the spirit of the devil power to bring us down to hell:2 Ne. 2:29;
- Christ prepared the way for our deliverance from death and hell:2 Ne. 9:10–12;
- Those who remain filthy go into everlasting torment:2 Ne. 9:16;
- The devil cheateth their souls and leadeth them away carefully down to hell:2 Ne. 28:21;
- Jesus hath redeemed my soul from hell:2 Ne. 33:6;
- Loose yourselves from the pains of hell:Jacob 3:11;
- To be taken captive by the devil and led by his will to destruction are the chains of hell:Alma 12:11;
- The wicked are cast into outer darkness until the time of their resurrection:Alma 40:13–14;
- The filthy would be more miserable to dwell with God than to dwell in hell:Morm. 9:4;
- The punishment which is given from my hand is endless punishment:D&C 19:10–12;
- Hell is a place prepared for the devil and his angels:D&C 29:37–38;
- Those who acknowledge God are delivered from death and the chains of hell:D&C 138:23;