The third member of the Godhead (1 Jn. 5:7; D&C 20:28). He is a personage of Spirit, not having a body of flesh and bones (D&C 130:22). The Holy Ghost is often referred to as the Spirit, or the Spirit of God.
The Holy Ghost performs several vital roles in the plan of salvation. (1) He bears witness of the Father and the Son (1 Cor. 12:3; 3 Ne. 28:11; Ether 12:41). (2) He reveals the truth of all things (John 14:26; 16:13; Moro. 10:5; D&C 39:6). (3) He sanctifies those who have repented and become baptized (John 3:5; 3 Ne. 27:20; Moses 6:64–68). (4) He is the Holy Spirit of Promise (D&C 76:50–53; 132:7, 18–19, 26).
The power of the Holy Ghost can come upon a person before baptism and witness that the gospel is true. But the right to have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, whenever one is worthy, is a gift that can be received only by the laying on of hands by a Melchizedek Priesthood holder after authorized baptism into the true Church of Jesus Christ.
- The Spirit causes men to walk in God’s statutes:Ezek. 36:27;
- The Apostles were commissioned to baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost:Matt. 28:19;
- The Holy Ghost shall teach you all things:John 14:26;
- Holy men spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost:2 Pet. 1:21;
- Nephi was led by the Spirit:1 Ne. 4:6;
- The mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them by the power of the Holy Ghost:1 Ne. 10:17–19;
- The Holy Ghost shows all things that you should do:2 Ne. 32:5;
- By the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things:Moro. 10:5;
- The Holy Ghost will tell you in your mind and in your heart:D&C 8:2;
- The Spirit leadeth to do good:D&C 11:12;
- The Holy Ghost knoweth all things:D&C 35:19;
- The Holy Ghost teaches the peaceable things of the kingdom:D&C 36:2; ( D&C 39:6; )
- If ye receive not the Spirit, ye shall not teach:D&C 42:14;
- The Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and the Son:D&C 42:17; ( 1 Cor. 12:3; 3 Ne. 11:32, 35–36; )
- To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God:D&C 46:13;
- Whatsoever they shall speak when moved upon by the Holy Ghost shall be scripture:D&C 68:4;
- The Holy Ghost shall be shed forth in bearing record unto all things ye shall say:D&C 100:8;
- The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion:D&C 121:45–46;