Ishmael, Son of Abraham
In the Old Testament, a son of Abraham and Hagar, Sarah’s Egyptian handmaid (Gen. 16:11–16). The Lord promised both Abraham and Hagar that Ishmael would become the father of a great nation (Gen. 21:8–21).
- The covenant came through Isaac rather than Ishmael:Gen. 17:19–21; ( Gal. 4:22–5:1; )
- God blessed Ishmael that he would be fruitful:Gen. 17:20;
- Ishmael helped bury Abraham:Gen. 25:8–9;
- Ishmael’s twelve sons were named:Gen. 25:12–16;
- Ishmael died:Gen. 25:17–18;
- Esau took Ishmael’s daughter, Mahalath, to be his wife:Gen. 28:9;