Light, Light of Christ
Divine energy, power, or influence that proceeds from God through Christ and gives life and light to all things. It is the law by which all things are governed in heaven and on earth (D&C 88:6–13). It also helps people understand gospel truths and helps to put them on that gospel path which leads to salvation (John 3:19–21; 12:46; Alma 26:15; 32:35; D&C 93:28–29, 31–32, 40, 42).
The light of Christ should not be confused with the Holy Ghost. The light of Christ is not a person. It is an influence that comes from God and prepares a person to receive the Holy Ghost. It is an influence for good in the lives of all people (John 1:9; D&C 84:46–47).
One manifestation of the light of Christ is conscience, which helps a person choose between right and wrong (Moro. 7:16). As people learn more about the gospel, their consciences become more sensitive (Moro. 7:12–19). People who hearken to the light of Christ are led to the gospel of Jesus Christ (D&C 84:46–48).
- The Lord is my light:Ps. 27:1;
- Let us walk in the light of the Lord:Isa. 2:5; ( 2 Ne. 12:5; )
- The Lord shall be an everlasting light:Isa. 60:19;
- The true Light lighteth every man that cometh into the world:John 1:4–9; ( John 3:19; D&C 6:21;
- I am the light of the world:John 8:12; ( John 9:5; D&C 11:28; )
- Whatsoever is light, is good:Alma 32:35;
- Christ is the life and the light of the world:Alma 38:9; ( 3 Ne. 9:18;
3 Ne.11:11; Ether 4:12; )
- The Spirit of Christ is given to every man that he may know good from evil:Moro. 7:15–19;
- That which is of God is light, and groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day:D&C 50:24;
- The Spirit giveth light to every man:D&C 84:45–48; ( D&C 93:1–2; )
- He that keepeth his commandments receiveth light and truth:D&C 93:27–28;
- Light and truth forsake that evil one:D&C 93:37;