A great Old Testament high priest, prophet, and leader who lived after the flood and during the time of Abraham. He was called the king of Salem (Jerusalem), king of peace, king of righteousness (which is the Hebrew meaning of Melchizedek), and priest of the most high God.
- Abraham paid tithes to Melchizedek:Gen. 14:18–20;
- Melchizedek’s people wrought righteousness, and obtained heaven:JST, Gen. 14:25–40;
- Christ was a high priest after the order of Melchizedek:Heb. 5:6;
- Melchizedek was King of Salem, priest of the most high God:Heb. 7:1–3;
- None were greater than Melchizedek:Alma 13:14–19;
- Abraham received the priesthood from Melchizedek:D&C 84:14;
- In respect for the Lord’s name, the ancient Church called the higher priesthood the Melchizedek Priesthood:D&C 107:1–4;