An Old Testament prophet who led the Israelites out of Egyptian bondage and gave to them a set of religious, social, and dietary laws as revealed by God.
Moses’ ministry extended beyond the limits of his own mortal lifetime. Joseph Smith taught that, in company with Elijah, he came to the Mount of Transfiguration and bestowed priesthood keys upon Peter, James, and John (Matt. 17:3–4; Mark 9:4–9; Luke 9:30; D&C 63:21).
Moses appeared to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery on 3 April 1836, in the temple in Kirtland, Ohio, and conferred on them the keys of the gathering of Israel (D&C 110:11).
Latter-day revelation speaks much concerning Moses. He is mentioned frequently in the Book of Mormon, and from the Doctrine and Covenants we learn about his ministry (D&C 84:20–26) and that he received the priesthood from his father-in-law, Jethro (D&C 84:6).
Latter-day revelation also confirms the biblical account of his ministry among the children of Israel and reaffirms that he was the author of the five books that begin the Old Testament (1 Ne. 5:11; Moses 1:40–41).
- Was saved by Pharaoh’s daughter:Ex. 2:1–10;
- Fled to Midian:Ex. 2:11–22;
- The angel of the Lord appeared to him in a burning bush:Ex. 3:1–15;
- Announced plagues to come upon the Egyptians:Ex. 7–11;
- The Lord instituted the Passover:Ex. 12:1–30;
- Led the children of Israel across the Red Sea:Ex. 14:5–31;
- The Lord sent manna in the desert:Ex. 16;
- Struck rock at Horeb and water gushed forth:Ex. 17:1–7;
- Aaron and Hur held up his hands so that Joshua prevailed over Amulek:Ex. 17:8–16;
- Jethro counseled him:Ex. 18:13–26;
- Prepared the people for the Lord’s appearance on mount Sinai:Ex. 19;
- The Lord revealed the Ten Commandments to him:Ex. 20:1–17;
- He and seventy elders saw God:Ex. 24:9–11;
- Broke the tables of testimony and destroyed the golden calf:Ex. 32:19–20;
- Spoke with God face to face:Ex. 33:9–11;
- Appeared when Jesus was transfigured:Matt. 17:1–13; ( Mark 9:2–13; Luke 9:28–36; )
- Let us be strong like unto Moses:1 Ne. 4:2;
- Christ is the prophet like unto Moses that the Lord would raise up:1 Ne. 22:20–21; ( 3 Ne. 20:23; Deut. 18:15; )
- Led Israel by revelation:D&C 8:3;
- Was seen among the noble spirits:D&C 138:41;
- Saw God face to face:Moses 1:2, 31;
- Was in the similitude of the Only Begotten:Moses 1:6, 13;
- Was to write the things revealed to him concerning the Creation:Moses 2:1;
The book of Moses
A book in the Pearl of Great Price that contains Joseph Smith’s inspired translation of the first seven chapters of Genesis.
Chapter 1 records a vision in which Moses saw God, who revealed to him the whole plan of salvation. Chapters 2–5 are an account of the creation and the fall of man. Chapters 6–7 contain a vision about Enoch and his ministry on earth. Chapter 8 contains a vision about Noah and the great flood.