Melodies and rhythms sung and played since early biblical times to express joy, praise, and worship (2 Sam. 6:5). It can be a form of prayer. The psalms were probably sung to simple melodies and accompanied by instruments.
- Miriam, the sister of Aaron and Moses, took a timbrel and she and the women danced:Ex. 15:20;
- The Levites who were the singers had cymbals and harps and one hundred twenty priests blew their trumpets:2 Chr. 5:12;
- Jesus and the Twelve sang a hymn after the Last Supper:Matt. 26:30;
- Teach and admonish one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs:Col. 3:16;
- Have you felt to sing the song of redeeming love?:Alma 5:26;
- God’s soul delights in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer:D&C 25:12;
- Praise the Lord with singing, with music, and with dancing:D&C 136:28;