Usually olive oil is meant when oil is mentioned in the scriptures. From Old Testament times, olive oil has been used for temple and tabernacle rites, for anointings, for burning in lamps, and for food. Olive oil is sometimes a symbol for purity and for the Holy Spirit and its influence (1 Sam. 10:1, 6; 16:13; Isa. 61:1–3).
- The priest shall put oil upon the tip of the right ear:Lev. 14:28–29;
- The Lord sent me to anoint thee to be king over his people:1 Sam. 15:1;
- The widow’s container of oil did not become empty:1 Kgs. 17:10–16;
- The Lord anoints my head with oil:Ps. 23:5;
- They anointed with oil many that were sick:Mark 6:13;
- Let the elders pray over him, anointing him with oil:James 5:13–15;
- Have your lamps trimmed and burning and oil with you:D&C 33:17; ( Matt. 25:1–13; )