One of the organizational and administrative units of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A stake is composed of a number of wards or branches. It generally has a set of geographical boundaries and conforms to the tent image described in Isaiah 54:2: “Lengthen thy cords, and strengthen thy stakes.” Each stake of Zion supports and helps to hold up the Church the way a tent or tabernacle is held up by its stakes. A stake is the gathering place for the remnants of scattered Israel (D&C 82:13–14; 101:17–21).
- Strengthen thy stakes and enlarge thy borders:Moro. 10:31; ( D&C 82:14; )
- Appoint unto Zion other stakes besides this one:D&C 109:59;
- The gathering together upon Zion, and upon her stakes, may be for a defense:D&C 115:6; ( D&C 101:21; )
- Other places should be appointed for stakes:D&C 115:18;
- High priests quorum president instituted to qualify those who shall be appointed stake presidents:D&C 124:133–134;
- Go ye forth unto the land of Zion, that her stakes may be strengthened:D&C 133:9;