Stephen was a martyr for the Savior and his Church in New Testament times. His preaching foreshadowed and possibly influenced the great work of Paul, who was present when Stephen defended himself before the Sanhedrin (Acts 8:1; 22:20).
- Stephen was one of seven men appointed to assist the Twelve Apostles:Acts 6:1–8;
- Stephen did great wonders and miracles:Acts 6:8;
- Stephen engaged in disputations with the Jews:Acts 6:9–10;
- Charges were brought against him and he was tried before the Sanhedrin:Acts 6:11–15;
- Stephen presented his defense:Acts 7:2–53;
- Being full of the Holy Ghost, he saw the Father and Son in vision:Acts 7:55–56;
- Stephen was martyred for his testimony:Acts 7:54–60;