The condition of persons who are temporarily changed in appearance and nature—that is, lifted to a higher spiritual level—so that they can endure the presence and glory of heavenly beings.
Transfiguration of Christ
Peter, James, and John saw the Lord glorified and transfigured before them. The Savior had before promised that Peter would receive the keys of the kingdom of heaven (Matt. 16:13–19; 17:1–9; Mark 9:2–10; Luke 9:28–36; 2 Pet. 1:16–18). At this important event, the Savior, Moses, and Elias (Elijah) gave the promised keys of the priesthood to Peter, James, and John. With these priesthood keys, the Apostles had the power to continue the work of the kingdom after the ascension of Jesus.
Joseph Smith taught that on the mount of transfiguration, Peter, James, and John were also transfigured. They saw a vision of the earth as it will appear in its future glorified condition (D&C 63:20–21). They saw Moses and Elijah, two translated beings, and heard the voice of the Father. The Father said, “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him” (Matt. 17:5).
- They saw the God of Israel:Ex. 24:9–11;
- The skin of his face shone while he talked with God:Ex. 34:29; ( Mark 9:2–3; )
- Jesus’ face did shine:Matt. 17:2; ( Mark 9:2–3; )
- Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory:2 Cor. 3:7;
- Abinadi’s face shown with exceeding luster:Mosiah 13:5–9;
- They were encircled about as if by fire:Hel. 5:23, 36, 43–45; ( 3 Ne. 17:24;
3 Ne.19:14; )
- They were as white as the countenance of Jesus:3 Ne. 19:25;
- It did seem unto them like a transfiguration:3 Ne. 28:15;
- No man has seen God in the flesh, except quickened by the Spirit:D&C 67:10–12;
- By the power of the Spirit our eyes were opened:D&C 76:12;
- The glory of God was upon Moses:Moses 1:2;
- His glory was upon me; and I beheld his face, for I was transfigured:Moses 1:11;
- I beheld the heavens open, and I was clothed upon with glory:Moses 7:3–4;