The 2017 edition of the Book of Mormon Seminary Teacher Manual is now available in English on LDS.org and through the Gospel Library app. This manual replaces the 2012 edition and has been developed to better align with the Fundamentals of Gospel Teaching and Learning to help teachers and students more effectively accomplish the Objective of Seminaries and Institutes of Religion. Some of the changes include:
- Improved teaching suggestions to help the lessons be more engaging. These suggestions include more variety and more opportunities for student teaching and group work. Additionally, the LDS.org and Gospel Library versions of this revised edition now provide handouts, which will save teachers time.
- Updated quotes from General Authorities. Some of these quotes are from the April 2017 general conference.
- Callout boxes identifying the 25 Book of Mormon doctrinal mastery passages. These callout boxes replace the previous references to scripture mastery passages.
- Newly added Mormon Messages and other media. In the LDS.org version of the manual, the column space includes links to Mormon Messages, videos of general conference addresses, and other media to enhance teachers’ and students’ study of the Book of Mormon.
- Updated charts, maps, and diagrams. Some of these resources, found in the appendix, have been clarified and enhanced.
- Corrections to minor publication errors. Feedback from teachers in the field has also been incorporated to make lessons clearer and more engaging.
Lessons 1–142 (1 Nephi–Mormon) are currently accessible, and lessons 143–160 (Ether–Moroni) will be available in October 2017. The online publication schedule of this updated manual is structured so that teachers worldwide will have access to the revised lessons before the start of class.
Teachers who desire a hard copy of the updated manual are encouraged to print the PDF of the manual from LDS.org. During the coming school year, home-study seminary students will use the current (2012) version of the student manual.
These changes have been implemented to better fulfill the Objective of Seminaries and Institutes of Religion. As teachers embrace and teach from the revised Book of Mormon Seminary Teacher Manual, they will more effectively help their students “understand and rely on the teachings and Atonement of Jesus Christ, qualify for the blessings of the temple, and prepare themselves, their families, and others for eternal life with their Father in Heaven” (Gospel Teaching and Learning: A Handbook for Teachers and Leaders in Seminaries and Institutes of Religion , 1).