The following assignments include various learning activities, such as questions, lists, essays, charts, comparisons, contrasts, and surveys. To receive credit for this lesson, you must complete the number of assignments indicated below and submit them to your institute instructor or administrator. You may submit your work either electronically or on paper, handwritten or typed.
Each lesson should take approximately 60–90 minutes to complete, the same amount of time you would typically spend in a weekly institute class. Since reading the scripture block listed in the lesson heading is expected of all institute students prior to class, the estimated time for each assignment does not include the time you need to spend reading the scripture block.
Complete assignment 3 and any two of the remaining assignments:
1. 2 Nephi 1:1–12. Land of Inheritance
Read 2 Nephi 1:5–12 and complete the following statements that summarize Lehi’s teachings about the land of their inheritance. Use your own words and be sure to completely cover what Lehi taught:
- In addition to Lehi’s descendants, the land is an inheritance for . . .
- If those who live in the promised land will serve God and keep His commandments, then . . .
- The Lord kept other nations from knowing about the promised land at that time because . . .
- If the inhabitants of the land “reject the Holy One of Israel, the true Messiah,” then . . .
2. 2 Nephi 1:13–24. Becoming Men and Women of God
From what Lehi taught in 2 Nephi 1:13–24, list at least five characteristics that Lehi associated with being a man or woman of God. Include the verse where each characteristic you record can be found.
3. 2 Nephi 2. The Great Plan of Happiness
Study 2 Nephi 2 and write a definition for each of the following topics. (Be sure to include the verse numbers where you found information about each topic.) You may also wish to include other scripture references to further explain the doctrines. Note that the institute student manual commentary for 2 Nephi 2 (pages 50–55) can be helpful in completing this assignment:
- The Fall
- Free to act/choose (agency)
- Adam and Eve
- Probationary state
- The Atonement (intercession)
- Redeemer, Messiah, Mediator
Conclude this assignment by writing a two- to three-paragraph outline of the plan of salvation using the terms and scriptures you have worked with above.
4. 2 Nephi 3. Joseph
Read 2 Nephi 3 and identify in writing the four “Josephs” mentioned in this chapter, including which verses speak of which Joseph. List them in the order in which they lived on the earth.
Read the student manual commentaries “2 Nephi 3:6–9: ‘A Choice Seer’” and “2 Nephi 3:6–15: The Prophecies of Joseph” (pages 55–57). Identify in writing who the seer refers to in verses 6–21. In your own words, list at least nine prophecies that refer to work he would accomplish during his lifetime.
5. 2 Nephi 4:15–35. “The Things of My Soul”
In 2 Nephi 4:15–35, we read some of “the things of [Nephi’s] soul” (verse 15). After you have read these verses, choose five phrases or sentences from what Nephi said that are also a part of the “things of [your] soul.” Briefly explain why you feel each is important to you. How could these expressions help to encourage you in times of trouble?
6. 2 Nephi 5. Living “after the Manner of Happiness” (verse 27)
Compare the differences between the people who followed Nephi with those who followed Laman and Lemuel. From the corresponding verses, write answers to the following questions in the appropriate column.
7. 2 Nephi 6–8. Isaiah Taught of the Messiah
The Book of Mormon contains several passages that quote the prophet Isaiah. According to 2 Nephi 6:1–5, explain in writing why Jacob quoted Isaiah.
- How can we explain the Lord’s declaration that His “righteousness is near”? (verse 5).
- What phrases suggest that the gathering of Israel in the last days shall be permanent?
From your reading in the student manual, how did Elder Bruce R. McConkie (1915–1985) distinguish between the spiritual gathering and the physical gathering of Israel? Read 2 Nephi 8:17–20; Revelation 11:1–12; Doctrine and Covenants 77:15. Then write a summary of all you learn about the “two sons” spoken of in these scriptures.
Official Web site of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
© 2014 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All Rights Reserved