Helping Boys Prepare to Receive the Aaronic Priesthood
“The Priesthood of Aaron ... is an appendage to the greater, or the Melchizedek Priesthood, and has power in administering outward ordinances” (D&C 107:13-14).
Faith in God for Boys
Boys should complete the following activities while they are 11 years old. These activities will help boys prepare to receive the Aaronic Priesthood and become righteous young men.
- Learn about the restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood (see D&C 13; 107:20; Joseph Smith—History 1:68-73).
- Read Doctrine and Covenants 20:57-60 and Fulfilling My Duty to God: For Aaronic Priesthood Holders, page 7. Discuss with a parent or leader the purposes of the Aaronic Priesthood and what it means to do his duty to God.
- Talk with the deacons quorum presidency about the role of the deacons quorum. Write in his journal how he can serve the Lord as a member of a deacons quorum.
- Read Doctrine and Covenants 88:77-80; 88:118; 130:19. Discuss with a parent or Primary leader how important a good education is and how it can help strengthen him as a priesthood holder in his home and family and in the Church.
- Read "The Family: A Proclamation to the World." Make a list of things he can do to help strengthen his family and make a happy home. Share the list with his parents or Primary leader.
11.5.5 A meeting called Priesthood Preview is held each year for 11-year-old boys and their parents. The purpose of this meeting is to help boys understand the priesthood and strengthen their commitment to prepare to receive it. Possible topics for the meeting include priesthood purposes, responsibilities, and blessings.
A member of the bishopric conducts the Priesthood Preview, and at least one member of the Primary presidency attends. Other leaders, including members of the deacons quorum presidency and Young Men presidency, may also attend.
If a ward has very few 11-year-old boys, the meeting may be held, under the direction of the stake presidency, with other wards or with the entire stake. According to local needs, it may be held on a Sunday evening, as part of a deacons quorum meeting on Sunday, or at another time.
Return to Scouting in Primary main page.
Official Web site of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
© 2014 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All Rights Reserved