Young men and young women should have a regularly scheduled activity night, called Mutual. The term Mutual suggests shared experiences in which there is mutual respect and support for one another. Mutual is held on a day or an evening other than Sunday or Monday. It is generally held once a week but may be held less frequently if priesthood leaders determine that travel, resources, or other significant circumstances prevent a weekly meeting.
Mutual may include:
- Separate Aaronic Priesthood and Young Women activities. Aaronic Priesthood activities should include Scouting where authorized.
- Combined Aaronic Priesthood-Young Women activities.
- Activities for any combination of Aaronic Priesthood quorums and Young Women classes, as well as parent–youth activities. Youth benefit from opportunities to gather together in a safe, wholesome setting with others who share their standards and beliefs. Mutual is where young men and young women practice gospel principles, prepare for their future, reach out to those who are less active, give service, and have fun.
Special Mutual Activities
Occasionally, larger Mutual activities may be planned to meet a special need or gather a larger number of youth together. These activities are carefully planned under the direction of the priesthood. The bishopric or stake presidency determines to what extent youth under 14 may participate in special Mutual activities. These leaders consider such factors as late hours, the subject of the discussion, the nature of the activity, and the maturity of the participants.
Leaders ensure that activities are appropriate for the participants’ ages and maturity, involve minimal risk, and allow all young men and young women to participate as fully as possible.
Examples of Special Mutual Activities
- General priesthood meeting
- Large festivals or multistake events
- Standards events
- Youth conferences
- Activity Plan
- Parental Permission and Medical Release
- Performance Contract
- Talent and Interest Survey
- Activity Planning Worksheets
Learn More . . .
- Safeguarding Youth: Safety Guidelines for Activities (U.S.)
- Safeguarding Youth: Safety Guidelines for Activities (International)
- 2013 Mutual Theme
- 2014 Mutual Theme
Official Web site of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
© 2015 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All Rights Reserved