A missionary’s purpose is to “invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end” (Preach My Gospel: A Guide to Missionary Service , 1). If you desire to fulfill this purpose, what can you do to prepare?
Your most important preparation will be spiritual. Find out how you can prepare to help others receive the restored gospel and come unto Christ. [More]
To teach others the gospel, you must have the Holy Spirit with you (see D&C 42:14). To have the Spirit, you must be worthy. Learn what standards are required for full-time service to the Lord, and enjoy the blessings of being worthy to serve. [More]
The work of bringing souls to Christ requires “all your heart, might, mind and strength” (D&C 4:2). Missionaries need to know how to work hard, set goals, and plan as they seek to serve the Lord. Find out what you can do now to prepare for the missionary lifestyle. [More]
To be an effective servant, missionaries need to be able to endure the physical rigors of mission life and learn how the Lord can help them overcome disappointments and challenges. Find out more about how to become physically and emotionally prepared to serve. [More]
A mission is a financial sacrifice made primarily by the missionary and his or her family. Learn how you can meet all financial obligations for a mission and the blessings that come from sacrificing for the Lord. [More]
To begin the process of receiving a mission call, talk to your bishop or branch president. He can then give you access to the online Missionary Recommendation System, which will tell you all of the information you will need to submit to Church headquarters. You will work with your bishop or branch president to complete the forms. (For information on the missionary recommendation process, see the Frequently Asked Questions.)
Some things may require some time, such as dental work, medical exams, and immunizations, so get started at least a few months before your eligibility date.
- Preach My Gospel
- Missionary Handbook
- The District, a series of videos about real missionary life
- Frequently Asked Questions about preparing for missionary service
- President Thomas S. Monson, “Preparation Brings Blessings,” Liahona and Ensign, May 2010, 64–67
- Elder M. Russell Ballard, “How to Prepare to Be a Good Missionary,” Liahona, Mar. 2007, 10–15; and New Era, Mar. 2007, 6–11
- An interview with David L. Beck, Young Men general president, on missionary preparation for young men
- An interview with Elaine S. Dalton, general Young Women president, and Carol M. Stephens, first counselor in the general Relief Society presidency, on missionary preparation for sisters