Help young men become more unified as a quorum, enjoy physical activity, and draw nearer to the Lord as they enjoy the beauty of His creations.
Organize a series of activities to help the young men prepare for a safe and exciting fishing trip. These activities could span a number of weeks. A quorum member and a knowledgeable consultant from the ward, stake, or community could lead the activities. For each activity, consider including something to invite the influence of the Holy Ghost. For example, you could invite a young man to share an experience, bear testimony, or teach a doctrine to the quorum before the activity begins.
- Introduction to fishing. Use visual aids and personal experiences to introduce fishing and build anticipation for the fishing trip. Learn more.
- The tackle box. Help the young men learn about different types of lures, hooks, poles, fishing line, and other tackle. Learn more.
- Locating fish. Learn about methods of locating fish. Learn more.
- Fishing pole preparation and casting. Learn how to prepare a fishing pole and the line setup. Practice tying knots and casting. Learn more.
- Hooking, preparing, and cooking fish. Help the young men learn how to properly set a hook and clean and cook a fish. Learn more.
- First aid and safety. Help the young men learn the possible dangers associated with fishing trips and how to avoid those dangers. Learn more.
- Clothing and gear. Learn about necessary clothing, including clothing for unexpected weather conditions, and proper fishing gear. Learn more.
- Trip plan and packing list. As a group, develop a detailed, written trip plan, including a purpose statement, a full itinerary with times and activities, emergency contact information, and maps. Prepare a packing list. Also prepare for devotionals, nightly reflections, quorum prayers, journaling, and scripture reading. Learn more.
- Fishing Trip. Go on the trip. Use all of the skills learned in the lead-up activities. Learn more.
For detailed instructions about fishing, see Varsity Team Program Features, Volume 1.