Learn about and appreciate the faith of those who lived anciently.
Invite someone who has studied the Bible to share with the youth how learning about customs and daily life during ancient times can help them understand the scriptures. Guide the youth in finding scriptures from the Old and New Testaments that teach about life in biblical times. Invite the youth to create something that will deepen their understanding of the scriptures. They could build household items or tools, create models of buildings, prepare a biblical meal, or re-create clothing worn by the people described in the scriptures. Discuss how this helps us understand the scriptures better.
Examples could include:
- Making a lamp (see Matthew 25).
- Cooking a Passover meal (see Exodus 12–13).
- Constructing or drawing a model of the Tabernacle (see Exodus 25–31).
- Making a phylactery (see Matthew 23:5).
- Making a winnowing fork (see Matthew 3:12).