What was Dad like when he was your age? Find out!
Is it hard to imagine Dad as a teenager? Believe it or not, he was one once! In fact, there might be a lot you don’t know about Dad!
Get the rest of your family involved and ask these questions at the dinner table or during a family home evening activity. You can even make up some of your own questions. It’s a fun way to get to know your dad—and do family history too! Take the next step and record his stories!
- What do you remember about the day I was born? Bonus points if you can remember the date and time!
- Did your parents give you an allowance? How much was it?
- Where was the first place you lived away from home? Do you have any crazy roommate stories?
- If you had to go back to high school, what would you do differently?
- What do/did you love most about your own dad?
- What is the best Christmas or birthday gift you’ve ever received and given?
- Name all the jobs you’ve had. Which was your favorite?
- Which would you prefer: fishing by yourself or playing football with a big group?
- Were you nervous about talking to girls as a teenager? Did you have friends who were girls?
- Did you ever have a low point as a teenager? How did you get through it?
- Tell me about a leader who impacted your life for good when you were a kid.
- What was your favorite thing to do on the weekends?
- Who were your friends in elementary, middle (junior high), and high school? Do you know where any of them are now? What did you do together for fun?
- What was the first car you drove? Who taught you how to drive?
- How did you decide whether to go to college? to go on a mission? to get married? which career to choose?
- What was your reaction when you found out you would be a dad?
- What do you appreciate most about your parents?
- What is the most surprising thing you enjoy about being a father?
- Tell me about your favorite family holiday traditions.
- What is a food or dish that reminds you of a specific place or person?
- Did you do any sports or clubs when you were a teen? If so, what are your favorite memories?
- How did you decide on my name? Did you consider other names?
- What is your favorite thing about your hometown?
- Did you ever get really sick or have to go to the hospital? What happened?
- What kinds of things did you collect as a kid?
- What was the first concert you went to? How much did it cost?
- If you could retire tomorrow, what would you do with your time?
- What are your top five best memories?
- What lessons would you like me to learn from your experiences growing up?
- What is your favorite thing about being a father?
This article originally appeared in the June 2015 New Era.
Share Your Experience
What did you learn about your dad? Tell us!
Share your experience with other youth below.