Take a minute and concentrate on your faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
“When we have faith in Christ, we accept and apply His Atonement and His teachings. We trust Him and what He says. . . . We believe in Christ, and we believe that He wants us to keep all His commandments. We want to show our faith by obeying Him” (Preach My Gospel: A Guide to Missionary Service , 61–62).
My dear young friends, take a minute and concentrate on your own faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as I ask you a few questions:
1. Are you happy with the direction of your life and the depth of your faith in the Lord Jesus Christ?
2. Do you love God with all of your heart, soul, strength, and mind? (See Luke 10:27.)
3. Are you doing the simple things in your everyday life?
a. Are you saying your prayers every morning and every night?
b. Are you reading every day from the holy scriptures?
c. Are you using appropriate language?
d. Are you being honest?
e. Are you living the Word of Wisdom?
4. Are you being kind and thoughtful of the needs of those around you?
5. Are you following the counsel of the Brethren . . . to avoid completely any kind of pornography?
6. Are you living worthy of a temple recommend?
7. Are you actively participating in your Sunday meetings, especially sacrament meeting—partaking of the sacrament worthily and renewing your covenants with the Lord?
There are other things, of course, that I could add to this list. However, if you are seriously striving to do your best to follow Christ, then you can answer questions like these with a resounding Yes!
Every day of your life the Lord will help you if you trust in Him and keep His commandments.
As you have thought about your personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, is there anything in your life now that you know is not what you want it to be? By sincere repentance the gospel of Jesus Christ provides an escape from mistakes we may make.
Every day of your life the Lord will help you if you trust in Him and keep His commandments. Do what is necessary to build a real relationship with your Heavenly Father. Your divine parents love you with all Their hearts, as does the Lord Jesus Christ. They want you to follow the great plan of happiness that will lead you safely back home to Their presence.
What have you done to follow Elder Ballard’s counsel? Click Share your experience below.
From the Church Educational System devotional address “Follow the Doctrine and Gospel of Christ,” given November 7, 2010.