Becoming like the Savior is a gradual, lifelong process, and you can begin by taking small steps every day.
The scriptures encourage us to become like Jesus Christ and “to walk, even as he walked” (1 John 2:6). But taking that first step can be difficult—especially when you don’t know how to begin.
You’ll find help in Preach My Gospel: A Guide to Missionary Service. You might think it’s just a handbook for full-time missionaries, but it’s actually a great tool that can help you get started on your goal to become like the Savior. Chapter 6 is designed to help you understand and apply nine specific Christlike attributes.
Here are some suggestions for how to use Preach My Gospel and the scriptures as you seek to develop Christlike attributes:
- To begin, go to the Attribute Activity at the end of chapter 6 in Preach My Gospel (page 126). This activity can help you determine which attributes are currently your spiritual strengths and which ones you need to work on.
- After finishing the activity, prayerfully choose an attribute to focus on. Consider reading the section in chapter 6 about that attribute.
- Set specific, measurable goals that will help you develop this attribute. Give yourself a time frame to work on your goal. Then evaluate your progress. For example, if you’re trying to be more charitable, you might set a goal to say positive things about your brother or sister three times each day for a week. At the end of the week, you would evaluate how you did with your goal and make adjustments that will help you continue to improve.
- Preach My Gospel provides scriptures to study with each attribute. You could prayerfully study the scriptures listed and write down the impressions you receive as you read.
- Ask Heavenly Father for help in developing a Christlike character. Ask for specific help such as, “Please give me the strength to overcome my anger when my siblings take my things.” The more specific your prayers, the easier it will be for you to recognize the Lord’s answers.
Becoming like our Savior, Jesus Christ, is a gradual process and a lifelong pursuit. Sometimes it may seem more difficult than advanced physics. But don’t despair. The Lord promises us: “He [or she] that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day” (D&C 50:24). As we receive, study, and apply light and truth and continue to follow God each day, we can be assured that we will become more like our Savior, Jesus Christ.
Small, daily actions are footsteps along the path to become like our Savior. Consider these additional activities to help you develop Christlike attributes:
- Read scriptures listed in the Topical Guide or Guide to the Scriptures that relate to the attribute you are seeking to develop.
- Pray daily for the desire to change and the strength to improve.
- Keep a journal to document your progress.
- Talk to your parents. Let them know your goals so they can help you.
Join the Conversation
Throughout October, you’ll be studying about how to become more Christlike. After reading this article, prayerfully choose an attribute to work on this week or month. You could set a goal and then evaluate your progress. Were you more charitable or more obedient or more patient, for example? How did your goal to be more Christlike help you overcome difficulties? Consider sharing your experience with other youth, with your family, or by clicking on Share your experience below.
Official Web site of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
© 2018 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All Rights Reserved