Youth share ideas for creating fun and wholesome dates.
Whether you’ve just turned 16, or you have a few years’ experience, dating can be nerve-racking. Group dates are always the best bet for a more pleasant, and less stressful, experience. And, as Allison McKee, 16, of the Buffalo New York Stake says, “Dating is so much fun. As long as you make important decisions beforehand, relax and enjoy yourself.” Here are some suggestions from other New Era readers on ways to ensure a fun and wholesome date:
- Prepare long before dating. Decide now to keep your standards high, so your decisions will already be made if you are faced with a difficult situation.
- Group dates are definitely the way to go. The more people the merrier!
- Have a definite plan. Involve everyone going on the date in the planning process, if possible.
- Be smart. Stay away from potentially uncomfortable or unsafe situations. Choose an activity and a place that is consistent with your moral standards.
- A ward dance, Church activity, or service project might be a good way to get to know someone in a familiar environment.
- Date friends who know and share your values. You’ll be less nervous if you know the other people on the group date, too.
- Wear modest clothing.
- Get advice from parents, grandparents, or older siblings about dating. They have much more dating experience than you and can probably offer some good advice.
- Say a personal prayer before you go on a date. Ask Heavenly Father for help with any problem you might have.
- For safety’s sake, be sure your parents know where you are going.
- Be considerate of your date’s feelings and preferences.
- Remember: Good dates don’t need to cost a lot of money.
- Above all, be yourself. Both you and your date will have more fun that way.
Official Web site of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
© 2014 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All Rights Reserved