Prepare yourself spiritually
Prayerfully study these scriptures and resources. What impressions do you receive as you study?
1 Timothy 4:12 (Be an example of the believers)
Alma 17:2–3 (The sons of Mosiah prepared themselves to share the gospel)
Moroni 10:32–33 (Moroni’s invitation to come unto Christ)
D&C 4 (Attributes that qualify us for serving the Lord)
D&C 20:46–59 (Aaronic Priesthood holders have a duty to invite all to come unto Christ)
D&C 42:6 (Preach the gospel by the power of the Spirit)
M. Russell Ballard, “Following Up,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2014, 78–81
Richard G. Scott, “I Have Given You an Example,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2014, 32–35
“What Is My Purpose as a Missionary?” Preach My Gospel (2004), 1–15
Let the young men lead
A member of the quorum presidency (or an assistant to the bishop in the priests quorum) conducts the quorum meeting. He leads the young men in counseling together about quorum business, teaches them their priesthood duties (from the scriptures and the Duty to God book), encourages them to share their experiences fulfilling their duty to God, and invites an adviser or other quorum member to teach a gospel lesson. He could prepare by filling out a quorum meeting agenda during a presidency meeting.
Begin the learning experience
Choose from these ideas, or think of your own, to review last week’s lesson and introduce this week’s lesson:
- Ask the young men to share something they remember from last week’s discussion. Why was this memorable to them?
- Invite the young men to search Doctrine and Covenants 20:59 and identify the priesthood duties mentioned there. Invite a few young men to share an experience they have had sharing the gospel with a family member, less-active friend, or friend of another faith. What was the result?
The purpose of this lesson is to help each young man make a plan to fulfill his priesthood duty to share the restored gospel of Jesus Christ with someone. Give the young men time during quorum meeting to write plans in their Duty to God books. Encourage them to share their plans with each other, and in future quorum meetings, invite them to share experiences they have inviting others to come unto Christ.
- Invite the young men to find scriptures that use phrases like “come unto Christ” or “come unto me” (see Matthew 11:28; Moroni 10:32; D&C 20:59). What does it mean to “come unto Christ”? What do they learn from these verses that inspires them to invite others to come unto Christ? (See Duty to God, 28.) Invite the young men to turn to the “Act” section of their Duty to God books (page 29, 55, or 77) and make plans to invite someone to come unto Christ.
- Read together Doctrine and Covenants 20:53, and make a list of ways home teachers can “watch over the church always, and be with and strengthen them.” How can the young men improve as home teachers? Consider inviting the elders quorum president to talk to the quorum about how to be a good home teacher. (See Duty to God, 52, 76.) Invite the young men to turn to the “Act” section of their Duty to God books (page 55 or 77) and make plans to become better home teachers.
- Show a picture of Ammon, and ask the quorum to summarize the story of Ammon teaching the Lamanites (see Alma 17–19). Contrast this story with Corianton’s experience (see Alma 39:1–11). How does our example affect our ability to teach the gospel to others? (See Duty to God, 28.) Invite the young men to turn to page 29 of their Duty to God books and make plans to share the gospel by being a good example.
- Write the following on the board: “Extending an invitation without following up is like _______.” Invite the quorum members to search Elder M. Russell Ballard’s talk “Following Up,” looking for a quotation that completes this sentence. What other comparisons can quorum members think of to complete the sentence? What else do they find in this talk that helps them understand the importance of following up when they invite others to come unto Christ?
- Show the video “Inviting All to Come unto Christ,” and invite quorum members to look for what the Aaronic Priesthood holders in this video did to help their quorum grow. Discuss what they could do to have similar experiences in their quorum. Give each quorum member a part of Elder Richard G. Scott’s talk “I Have Given You an Example.” Ask the quorum members to find principles or counsel from the talk that could help them in their efforts to invite others to come unto Christ. Encourage them to share what they find.
Ask the young men to share what they learned today. Do they understand their priesthood duty to invite all to come unto Christ? What feelings or impressions do they have? Do they have any additional questions? Would it be worthwhile to spend more time on this doctrine?