Prepare yourself spiritually
As you prayerfully study these scriptures and resources, what do you feel inspired to share with the young men?
2 Nephi 3:3–25 (Ancient prophets foresaw Joseph Smith’s mission as prophet and seer)
D&C 35:17–18 (Through the Prophet Joseph Smith, the Lord restored the fulness of the gospel)
D&C 76:22–24 (Joseph Smith’s testimony of Jesus Christ)
D&C 135:3 (Through the Prophet Joseph Smith, the Lord gave us additional scripture)
Joseph Smith—History 1:11–25 (God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith)
Henry B. Eyring, “An Enduring Testimony of the Mission of the Prophet Joseph,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2003, 89–92
Lawrence E. Corbridge, “The Prophet Joseph Smith,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2014
“Joseph Smith,” True to the Faith (2004), 89–90
Let the young men lead
A member of the quorum presidency (or an assistant to the bishop in the priests quorum) conducts the quorum meeting. He leads the young men in counseling together about quorum business, teaches them their priesthood duties (from the scriptures and the Duty to God book), encourages them to share their experiences fulfilling their duty to God, and invites an adviser or other quorum member to teach a gospel lesson. He could prepare by filling out a quorum meeting agenda during a presidency meeting.
Begin the learning experience
Choose from these ideas, or think of your own, to review last week’s lesson and introduce this week’s lesson:
- Invite a young man to draw a picture on the board that symbolizes what the quorum learned last week, and have the other young men guess what he has drawn.
- Before the quorum meeting, invite a few young men to come prepared to tell the quorum about something God restored through Joseph Smith and to share his testimony of Joseph Smith’s mission as a prophet.
Each of the activities below can help the quorum members understand Joseph Smith’s role in the Restoration. Following the guidance of the Spirit, select one or more that will work best with your quorum:
- Invite quorum members to make a list of the things the Lord gave us through Joseph Smith, then read Doctrine and Covenants 135:3 and add to the list if necessary. How are our lives different because of the work the Lord did through Joseph Smith?
- Invite the young men to read Joseph Smith—History 1:7–20, looking for truths Joseph Smith learned through the First Vision. What did Joseph learn about Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ? about himself? about the adversary? Why are these truths important for us to understand today?
- Show the video “Joseph Smith: The Prophet of the Restoration”, and ask the young men to share something they learn or something that impresses them about the Prophet Joseph Smith. Consider relating how you gained your testimony that Joseph Smith was a prophet.
- Invite the young men to read pages 89–90 in True to the Faith or Elder Lawrence E. Corbridge’s talk “The Prophet Joseph Smith.” Invite them to choose a few sentences they would use if they were asked to describe why Joseph Smith is important. Ask a few young men to tell what sentences they chose and why.
Ask the young men to share what they learned today. Do they understand the role of Joseph Smith in the Restoration of the gospel? What feelings or impressions do they have? Do they have any additional questions? Would it be helpful to spend more time on this doctrine?
Invite to act
The young man who is conducting concludes the meeting. He could:
- Share his feelings about why Joseph Smith is important to his life and invite other quorum members to do the same.
- Discuss with the quorum their priesthood duty to teach others about the mission of Joseph Smith.