Prepare yourself spiritually
What scriptures or other resources could you use to help teach the young men about the resurrection? What are you impressed to share?
Luke 24 (The Resurrection of Jesus Christ)
1 Corinthians 15 (Because the Savior overcame death, we will all be resurrected)
Alma 11:41–45 (When we are resurrected, our spirits and bodies are reunited, and we are judged)
Alma 40–41 (Alma explains the resurrection to his son Corianton)
Thomas S. Monson, “He Is Risen!” Ensign or Liahona, May 2010, 87–90
Thomas S. Monson, “Mrs. Patton—the Story Continues,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2007, 21–24
D. Todd Christofferson, “The Resurrection of Jesus Christ,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2014
Video: “He Is Risen”
Let the young men lead
A member of the quorum presidency (or an assistant to the bishop in the priests quorum) conducts the quorum meeting. He leads the young men in counseling together about quorum business, teaches them their priesthood duties (from the scriptures and the Duty to God book), encourages them to share their experiences fulfilling their duty to God, and invites an adviser or other quorum member to teach a gospel lesson. He could prepare by filling out a quorum meeting agenda during a presidency meeting.
Begin the learning experience
Choose from these ideas, or think of your own, to review the doctrine from last week’s lesson and introduce this week’s lesson:
- Invite the young men to open to a scripture they learned about during last week’s lesson. Encourage a few to share their scripture, what they learned, and what they are doing to live by its teachings.
- Ask the young men what they celebrate at Easter. What are some of the symbols of Easter? How do these symbols teach them about the resurrection?
Each of the activities below can help the quorum members understand the resurrection. Following the guidance of the Spirit, select one or more that will work best for your quorum:
- Select some passages from 1 Corinthians 15 about the resurrection. Invite the young men to read the passages, in small groups or individually, and create a summary statement of what they learn about the resurrection (for example, verses 1–8 could be summarized as “There are witnesses of the resurrection”). Why do the young men feel it is important for them to know these truths about the resurrection?
- Ask the young men to imagine that a friend who is not a member of the Church has lost a loved one. Invite half of the young men to read Alma 40 and the other half to read Alma 41. Ask them to make a list of teachings about the resurrection in these chapters that they could share with their friend. Then have them share their lists with the rest of the class.
- As a quorum, make a list of people in the scriptures who were witnesses of the Savior’s Resurrection. Invite the young men to search Elder D. Todd Christofferson’s talk “The Resurrection of Jesus Christ” to find other examples. Encourage them to find the testimonies of these witnesses in the scriptures (some references are provided in Elder Christofferson’s talk). What do we learn about the Savior and His Resurrection from these witnesses? Share your testimony of the Savior’s Resurrection, and invite a few quorum members to share their testimonies.
- Hand out several of the Teachings of Presidents of the Church books (or make copies of selected chapters), and invite the young men to find teachings from the latter-day prophets about the resurrection. Ask them to share what they find with the class.
- Invite the young men to find hymns about the resurrection (look in the topical index at the back of the hymnbook for ideas). Sing a few of these as a class. Look at the scriptures in the footnotes of the hymn, and discuss what they teach.
Ask the young men to share what they learned today. Do they understand the resurrection better? What feelings or impressions do they have? Do they have any additional questions? Would it be worthwhile to spend more time on this doctrine?
Invite to act
The young man who is conducting concludes the meeting. He could:
- Bear his testimony of the resurrection.
- Invite the quorum members to learn more about the resurrection in their personal scripture study and share what they learn with the quorum.