Prepare yourself spiritually
Prayerfully study the following scriptures and resources. What do you feel inspired to share with the young men?
Mosiah 3:19 (Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ we can become Saints)
3 Nephi 27:27 (We are commanded to be as Christ is)
Thomas S. Monson, “Ponder the Path of Thy Feet,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2014, 86–88
Dallin H. Oaks, “The Challenge to Become,” Ensign, Nov. 2000, 32–34; Liahona, Jan. 2001, 40–43
Eduardo Gavarett, “Yes, Lord, I Will Follow Thee,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2014, 37–39
“How Do I Develop Christlike Attributes?” Preach My Gospel (2004), 115–26
Let the young men lead
A member of the quorum presidency (or an assistant to the bishop in the priests quorum) conducts the quorum meeting. He leads the young men in counseling together about quorum business, teaches them their priesthood duties (from the scriptures and the Duty to God book), and invites an adviser or other quorum member to teach a gospel lesson. He could prepare by filling out a quorum meeting agenda during a presidency meeting.
Begin the learning experience
Choose from these ideas or think of your own to review last week’s lesson and introduce this week’s lesson:
- Invite each quorum member to find a scripture about the doctrine he learned in last week’s lesson and share it with another quorum member.
- Give each young man a copy of the attribute activity on page 126 of Preach My Gospel, and ask him to take a few minutes to complete the self-evaluation. Invite each young man to share what he learned from the activity. Invite a few young men to share a Christlike attribute they admire in another quorum member or in a family member.
Each of the activities below will help quorum members learn about the attributes of Jesus Christ. Following the inspiration of the Spirit, select one or more that will work best for your quorum:
- Ensure that each young man has a copy of chapter 6 of Preach My Gospel. Invite the young men to choose one of the Christlike attributes described in this chapter that they would like to improve on. Ask them to share why that attribute is important to them. Give them time in quorum meeting to learn about the attribute they chose, following the suggestions under the heading “Developing Christlike Attributes” on pages 122–23 of Preach My Gospel.
- Divide the quorum into three groups, and invite each group to read about one of the three invitations in Elder Eduardo Gavarett’s talk “Yes, Lord, I Will Follow Thee.” Give each group the opportunity to share what they learned and what they can do to accept that invitation.
- Invite each young man to choose one of the paths President Thomas S. Monson lists in his talk “Ponder the Path of Thy Feet.” Ask him to summarize what President Monson says about that path and create an outline for a brief talk about how the Savior set an example for us in that path. He could include in his outline a scripture, a personal experience, and his testimony. Help the young men make plans to give their talks in Mutual opening exercises, sacrament meeting, quorum meeting, or at home.
- Invite the young men to identify their priesthood duties, as listed in the Duty to God book (see page 23 [deacon], 46–47 [teachers], 70–71 [priests]), and discuss different situations they might be in as they fulfill these duties (for example, home teaching a family who is not receptive to the gospel or standing up for the Lord’s standards). How will the attributes of Christ help the young men in these situations? When have they seen a fellow quorum member exemplify one of these attributes?
- Read to the young men the parable of the wealthy father in Elder Dallin H. Oaks’s talk “The Challenge to Become.” Invite the young men to share what they think this parable teaches and how it relates to their own lives. What does the son in the parable need to do in order to become like his father? As a quorum, watch the video “Daily Bread: Change” or read 3 Nephi 12:48 and Moroni 7:48. What do these teachings add to our understanding of Elder Oaks’s parable? Invite each young man to choose an attribute of the Savior that he would like to develop and make a list of things he can do to make that attribute a part of his nature. Suggest that the young men keep their lists in their scriptures so they can refer to them often and add other Christlike attributes.
- Invite quorum members to individually read one of the scriptures suggested in this outline, marking words and phrases that show some of the attributes of the Savior. Encourage them to look for these attributes and others as they watch the video “Christlike Attributes.” Give them time to share their feelings about the Savior and the attributes He exemplified. How could they develop these attributes in their own lives? They could also share examples of people they know who they feel demonstrate some of these Christlike attributes.
Ask the young men to share what they learned today. Do they understand how to become more Christlike? What feelings or impressions do they have? Do they have any additional questions? Would it be worthwhile to spend more time on this doctrine?
Invite to act
The young man who is conducting concludes the meeting. He could:
- Share his testimony regarding the importance of developing Christlike attributes to help him fulfill his priesthood duties, both now and in the future.
- Invite the young men to set goals and make plans to develop a Christlike attribute. He could encourage them to ask Heavenly Father for help.