What is the purpose of this quorum meeting?
The purpose of this quorum meeting is to learn about the joy of Christlike service by planning and carrying out significant service activities.
Conduct the quorum meeting
A member of the quorum presidency (or an assistant to the bishop in the priests quorum) conducts the quorum meeting. He could prepare by filling out a quorum meeting agenda during a presidency meeting.
Begin the learning experience
- Invite the young men to write down the names of people they could serve (such as family members, ward members, or people in their community).
- Watch together the video “Seven Days of Service” or the video “When Ye Are in the Service—YM.” Invite the young men to look for:
- What made the service successful.
- How the young men and others were blessed.
- After the video, ask the young men to share what they have learned.
- Invite the young men to read Matthew 25:31–46 individually and share words or phrases that are important to them. What do they learn from these verses?
Learn by doing
The best way to learn about service is to give service and to perform daily acts of kindness, both as a quorum and as individuals.
Invite the quorum presidency to lead quorum members in planning one or more service activities. Encourage them to consider how they can stretch themselves to make a significant difference in someone’s life. Also invite them to discuss how service could become a defining characteristic of the quorum and its members. Consider these simple steps:
- Discuss the individuals and families that quorum members listed at the beginning of the meeting.
- Visit the service category on the Youth Activities website during quorum meeting to get ideas for service activities that could help those individuals and families.
- Plan and carry out the activities.
- After each activity, invite quorum members to share what the experience has taught them.
In addition to the service you plan as a quorum, ask quorum members how they could make service a daily habit.
The young man who is conducting the quorum meeting could conclude by:
- Sharing his feelings about service.
- Sharing his excitement about the planned service activities and how he feels they will bless others.