Prepare yourself spiritually
What scriptures and other resources will inspire the young men to participate in the hastening of the Lord’s work?
Mosiah 28:1–3 (The sons of Mosiah desire to preach the gospel)
Moses 1:39 (God describes His work)
D&C 20:46–60 (Duties of Aaronic Priesthood holders)
D&C 138:56 (Faithful children of God were prepared in premortality to labor in the Lord’s vineyard)
Thomas S. Monson, “Willing and Worthy to Serve,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2012, 66–69
Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Are You Sleeping through the Restoration?” Ensign or Liahona, May 2014, 58–62
S. Gifford Nielsen, “Hastening the Lord’s Game Plan!,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2013, 33–35
Let the young men lead
A member of the quorum presidency (or an assistant to the bishop in the priests quorum) conducts the quorum meeting. He leads the young men in counseling together about quorum business, teaches them their priesthood duties (from the scriptures and the Duty to God book), encourages them to share their experiences fulfilling their duty to God, and invites an adviser or other quorum member to teach a gospel lesson. He could prepare by filling out a quorum meeting agenda during a presidency meeting.
Begin the learning experience
Choose from these ideas, or think of your own, to review last week’s lesson and introduce this week’s lesson:
- Invite the young men to share, teach, and testify about the experiences they have had applying what they learned in the previous week’s lesson.
- Write on the board What is the Lord’s work? Invite quorum members to come to the board and write possible answers to this question. Encourage them to add to this list as they learn more during this lesson.
Each of the activities below will help the young men discover how they can participate as the Lord hastens His work. Following the inspiration of the Spirit, select one or more that will work best for your class:
- Write the word hasten on the board, and ask someone to read Doctrine and Covenants 88:73. Invite the quorum to discuss what it means to hasten something (if necessary, they could look the word up in a dictionary). Ask the young men why they think the Lord’s work needs to be hastened in our day. Invite them to look for answers to this question in the scriptures suggested in this outline or other scriptures they can think of.
- A few days in advance, ask the young men to visit the Hastening the Work of Salvation section of LDS.org and review some of the resources there. Invite them to come to quorum meeting prepared to share something from the site that has inspired them to participate more fully in the Lord’s work.
- Invite the young men to review one of the conference talks in this outline, looking for statements that inspire them to participate more fully in the work of the Lord. Ask them to share those statements and explain why they find them inspiring.
- Write questions like the following on the board: What can Aaronic Priesthood holders do to participate in the Lord’s work? What helps you feel the excitement and urgency of the work? How are your experiences preparing you to participate in the work? Ask the young men to read the scriptures suggested in this outline to help them answer one or more of these questions. Invite them to share what they find.
- As a quorum, read Elder S. Gifford Neilsen’s description of game plans in his talk “Hastening the Lord’s Game Plan!.” Invite the quorum president to lead a discussion about a “game plan” for the quorum to participate more fully in some aspect of the Lord’s work, such as sharing the gospel, rescuing a quorum member, or doing temple and family history work.
Ask the young men to share what they learned today. What feelings or impressions do they have? Do they understand how they can participate in the hastening of the Lord’s work? Do they have any additional questions? Would it be helpful to spend more time on this topic?
Invite to act
The young man who is conducting concludes the meeting. He could:
- Share with the quorum how doing the Lord's work has strengthened his testimony and what he has been impressed to do as a result of this lesson.
- Invite quorum members to choose something specific they will do—as a quorum and individually—to hasten the Lord’s work.