Prepare yourself spiritually
Prayerfully study these scriptures and resources. What do you feel inspired to share with the young men?
Genesis 1:26–27 (We are created in God’s image)
Matthew 3:13–17 (Each member of the Godhead was manifested at Christ’s baptism)
D&C 130:22–23 (The Father and the Son have physical bodies; the Holy Ghost does not)
Articles of Faith 1:1 (We believe in the three members of the Godhead)
Jeffrey R. Holland, “The Only True God and Jesus Christ Whom He Hath Sent,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2007, 40–42
Christoffel Golden Jr., “The Father and the Son,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2013
Video: “The Restoration”; see also Doctrine and Covenants Visual Resources DVD
Let the young men lead
A member of the quorum presidency (or an assistant to the bishop in the priests quorum) conducts the quorum meeting. He leads the young men in counseling together about quorum business, teaches them their priesthood duties (from the scriptures and the Duty to God book), encourages them to share their experiences fulfilling their duty to God, and invites an adviser or other quorum member to teach a gospel lesson. He could prepare by filling out a quorum meeting agenda during a presidency meeting.
Begin the learning experience
Choose from these ideas or think of your own to review last week’s lesson and introduce this week’s lesson:
- Invite a member of the quorum to come to quorum meeting prepared to give a two-minute review of what he learned in the last lesson.
- Invite the young men to role-play how they would teach someone not of our faith about the three different members of the Godhead. What scriptures would they use? Why do they feel this knowledge is so important?
Each of the activities below will help the quorum members understand the nature of the Godhead. Following the inspiration of the Spirit, select one or more that will work best for your quorum:
- Invite a quorum member to teach a portion of this lesson. He could do this as part of his Duty to God plan to learn and teach about the Godhead (see “Understand Doctrine,” page 18, 42, or 66).
- Read as a quorum Elder Jeffrey R. Holland’s description of other Christian beliefs about the Godhead (in his talk “The Only True God and Jesus Christ Whom He Hath Sent”). Show the young men the First Vision scene in the video “The Restoration,” or show a picture of the First Vision (see Gospel Art Book, 90). What did Joseph learn about the Godhead? How was what he learned different from what other Christians believed? Why is what he learned important? How do the young men think this experience changed what Joseph believed about himself?
- Invite the young men to search one of the scriptures in this outline and identify what they learn about the Godhead. Invite them to share what these verses teach them about their divine nature. How does this knowledge affect their daily choices?
- Write three headings on the board: “There are three members in the Godhead,” “The Godhead is united as one,” and “Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have physical bodies.” Write scripture references about the Godhead (such as those listed in this outline) on small cards. Invite the young men to take turns picking a card, reading the scripture aloud, and writing the reference under the appropriate heading on the board (some of the scriptures may belong under more than one heading). How can knowing these truths about the Godhead bless the young men? Encourage the young men to keep a list of these references in their scriptures so they can use them to teach others about the Godhead.
- Divide the quorum into three groups, and assign each group to learn about a member of the Godhead by reading about Him in True to the Faith (see pages 74–76, 81–84, and 87–89) and choosing one or two scriptures that relate to this member of the Godhead. Give the groups enough time to prepare to teach the rest of the quorum the characteristics and roles of their member of the Godhead. Allow each group to teach the rest of the quorum.
- Divide one or both of the general conference talks suggested in this outline into smaller sections. Give a section to each quorum member (or to groups, depending on quorum size). Write on the board “What do we know about the Godhead?” Invite the young men to use the talks to find and then share their answers. Why is it important to know the true nature of the Godhead? (see John 17:3).
Ask the young men to share what they learned today. What feelings or impressions do they have? Do they understand the nature of the Godhead better? Do they have any additional questions? Would it be worthwhile to spend more time on this topic?
Invite to act
The young man who is conducting concludes the meeting. He could:
- Bear his testimony of the members of the Godhead and his gratitude for the truths about Them restored through Joseph Smith.
- Invite the quorum members to share with someone the truths they learned in quorum meeting today.