Prepare yourself spiritually
As you study these scriptures and other resources about the Holy Ghost, seek for His guidance to know what to teach the young men about the importance of the Holy Ghost in their lives.
John 14:16–27 (The Comforter can teach us and bring all things to our remembrance)
Galatians 5:22–23 (Paul describes the fruit of the Spirit)
2 Nephi 32:5 (The Holy Ghost will show us what we should do)
3 Nephi 27:20 (Receiving the Holy Ghost sanctifies us)
Moroni 8:26 (The Holy Ghost fills us with hope and love)
Moroni 10:5 (The Holy Ghost teaches us the truth)
Gary E. Stevenson, “How Does the Holy Ghost Help You?” Ensign or Liahona, May 2017, 117–20
Henry B. Eyring, “My Peace I Leave with You,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2017, 15–18
Juan A. Uceda, “The Lord Jesus Christ Teaches Us to Pray,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2016, 30–32
Robert D. Hales, “The Holy Ghost,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2016, 105–7
Let the young men lead
A member of the quorum presidency (or an assistant to the bishop in the priests quorum) conducts the quorum meeting. He leads the young men in counseling together about quorum business, teaches them their priesthood duties (from the scriptures and the Duty to God book), encourages them to share their experiences fulfilling their duty to God, and invites an adviser or other quorum member to teach a gospel lesson. He could prepare by filling out a quorum meeting agenda during a presidency meeting.
Begin the learning experience
Choose from these ideas or think of your own to review last week’s lesson and introduce this week’s lesson:
- Give the young men a moment to think of and share one thing they remember from last week’s lesson. Think of how you could relate their answers to today’s lesson.
- Invite the young men to write about a time when they have felt the influence of the Holy Ghost. What did they do to receive His influence? What difference did His influence make? If appropriate, have several of them share their experiences.
Each of the activities below will help quorum members understand the roles of the Holy Ghost. Following the inspiration of the Spirit, select one or more that will work best for your quorum:
- Write the following questions on the board: Why do we need the Holy Ghost? How can the Holy Ghost help us? Invite the young men to search Elder Gary E. Stevenson’s talk “How Does the Holy Ghost Help You?” or watch the video “Voice of the Spirit,” looking for answers to the questions on the board. As appropriate, share experiences you have had with receiving inspiration from the Holy Ghost, and invite the young men to share any experiences they have had. They could also share things they will do to better listen for and follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost.
- Find some stories from recent general conference talks that illustrate the various roles of the Holy Ghost. Consider including President Henry B. Eyring’s experience with his son or with the Austrian Saints in “My Peace I Leave with You” or Elder Juan A. Uceda’s experience as a missionary in Peru in his talk “The Lord Jesus Christ Teaches Us to Pray.” Invite each young man to read one of the stories, retell it to the quorum in his own words, and identify the role of the Holy Ghost in that story. Encourage the young men to share their own experiences when the Holy Ghost has helped them.
- Invite a quorum member to teach a portion of this lesson. He could do this as part of his Duty to God plan to learn and teach about the Holy Ghost (see “Understand Doctrine,” page 18, 42, or 66).
- Invite the young men to search the following scriptures, identify the role of the Holy Ghost in each, and share how His influence can bless them: John 14:26; 15:26; Galatians 5:22–23; 2 Nephi 32:5; 3 Nephi 27:20. The young men could also search sections of Elder Robert D. Hales’s talk “The Holy Ghost” to learn about roles of the Holy Ghost. Invite the young men to list times in their lives when they will need the influence of the Holy Ghost. When will it be important for the Holy Ghost to show them what they should do? At what times might the young men need to feel the comforting influence of the Holy Ghost? Consider sharing a personal experience when you have received the help of the Holy Ghost.
- Show one of the videos listed in this outline, and ask the young men to listen for what the video teaches them about receiving guidance through the Holy Ghost. Ask each young man to share something he learns. Then write the following statement from Julie B. Beck on the board: “The ability to receive and act upon personal revelation is the single most important skill we can acquire in this life. With it we cannot fail; without it we cannot succeed” (“And upon the Handmaids in Those Days Will I Pour Out My Spirit,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2010, 11). Invite them to think about and write down how they feel about this quote and the importance of living worthy of and following the Spirit. Encourage them to ponder what they can do to more fully seek the companionship of the Holy Ghost.
- Invite the young men to look in the hymnbook in the “Topics” index under “Holy Ghost” to find a hymn that teaches about how the Holy Ghost can help us. Ask them to share lines from the hymns they chose. Consider singing one of the hymns as a quorum.
Ask the young men to share what they learned today. What feelings or impressions do they have? Do they understand the roles of the Holy Ghost? Do they have any additional questions? Would it be worthwhile to spend more time on this topic?
Invite to act
The young man who is conducting concludes the meeting. He could:
- As appropriate, share an experience in which he felt the influence of the Holy Ghost in one of the ways discussed in quorum meeting.
- Invite the young men in the quorum to be worthy of and seek the companionship of the Holy Ghost.